MARAGTAS SANG HANIWAY















Mga dulot sang aton mga kamal-aman nga mapabugal sang aton banwa.

MARAGTAS SANG HANIWAY







Introduction


This town Janiuay as it is officially called at present is located at 126*24'6'' longitude and 11*5' latitude near the central part of the province of Iloilo and 33 kilometers distant from the capital.

It is a first class municipality having an area of 25,000,000 ha. with a population of 45,000 of whom approximately 14,000 are voters as of 1948-49 census.  The town is on the provincial highway from Iloilo to Capiz and it has a wide variety of agricultural products. 

Janiuay has 72 barrios under its jurisdiction including the the Poblacion (town proper).  These barrios with their corresponding population follow:  ABANGAY - 566; AGCAROPE - 315; AGLUBONG - 243; AGUINGAY - 358; AGUSIPAN - 760; ANHAWAN - 474; ASTORGA - 405; BADIANGAN - 867; BALANAC -348; BINGAWAN - 388; BITAOYAN - 1035; BONGOL - 530; BOTONG - 843; BUDIAWE - 509; CABANTUG - 198; CABANGA-AN - 505; CABAYOGAN - 616; CALANSANAN - 770, CALMAY - 950; CANAWILI - 738; CARANAS - 450; CARAUDAN - 986; CARIGANGAN - 615; CATUBIG - 392; CUNSAD - 256; DABONG - 630; DAMIRES - 828; DAMO-ONG - 317; DANAO - 1170; JIBOLO - 1151; GINES - 258; GUADALUPE - 710; GINAWAHAN - 430; ILONGBUKID - 334; INDOROHAN - 241; INILIGAN - 871; LATAWAN - 409; LINAYUAN - 404; MADONG - 1050; MAINGIT - 454; MALUBLUB - 681; MANAULAN - 979; MANACABAC - 695; MANGIL - 600; MAPILI GRANDE - 536; MAPILI SANGHO - 290; MATAG-UB - 422; MONTE MAGAPA - 439; ODIONGAN - 510; PANURAN - 294; PANGILIHAN - 355; PARARING - 204; PATONG PATONG - 542; POBLACION - 3993; QUIPOT - 1976; SAN JULIAN - 628; STO TOMAS - 489; SARAWAG - 113; SARIRI - 574; SIANON - 405; SINUAGAN - 424; TALABA - 356; TAMBAL - 666; TAMOCOL - 549; TAMU-AN - 570; TENECLAN - 139; TINA - 772; TIRINGANAN - 287; TUBURAN - 449; TULARUCAN - 898; UBIAN - 642; and UABON - 437.

The town was first named "VISITA DE YABUN" when the first settlers came and founded this settlement, the largest of the group of four that were headed by datus.  This book places the event in the summer of the year 1578.  The rule of the datus continued until the year 1738 when the spaniards came to this place to subju
gate and the former rulers had to give up their powers to the conquerors.


The first Spanish regime in the place began in the following year after the surrender of the different datus with the exception of Datu Dimag-tol of Ubian who escaped with his followers to the mountains and later became the leader of the bandits.  The first executive office under this Spanish rule was known as the "Teniente Absoluto" and the following persons ruled with their respective tenures:  Kabatak - 1738; Balitok - 1739; Panayaw - 1740; Labawon - 1741; Likawan - 1742; Marcelo (lowlander) - 1743; and Ba
takun -1744.

The following year 1745, the government center was moved to Danaw and assumed the name of "VISITA DE DANAW."  At that time the executive office continued to be under the "Teniente Absuloto" and the following executive officers and their tenures follow: Cruz - 1745; Sagrado - 1
746; Dumara-ug - 1747; Puti - 1748; Kapnaw - 1749; Rambana - 1750; Umilig - 1751; Tungkayas - 1752; Katuha - 1743; Lumaway - 1754; Alinsanan - 1755; Tanyu - 1756; Buingan - 1757.

The government center was transferred to Matag-ub formerly Ilawod.  Matag-ub derived its name from the word "Masag-ub" or to fetch water by means of bamboo tube.  This occured so when the Spanish soldiers were on their way from Danaw to Ilawod in an expedition on their first arrival.  The Spanish chief asked for the name of the settlement when the houses came to (missing page)

Many Stories had been told about how the town got its name.  The most accepted account is that it got its name from a ruling datu's son Han and "oway".  Han was the name of the datu or chieftain of Punod settlement, and Oway is the name of the native reed, in English, rattan, which was abundant in the place and still abounds in the vicinity to this day.  The name was later modified to give the euphoric sound of JANIUAY.  Some also believed that the name originated from the native word "hani" meaning whisper and "oway" the reed and crudely combined to mean whisper in the reeds thicket.  Today young people have given it a streamlined variation by writing the word down as "Honey, Why?"

The town under this new name continued to be ruled under the executive office of Capitan Basal until about the middle part of 1822 when the title of office was change
d to "Alcalde".

The following were the founders of the town of Janiuay:
Agustin Ingkilan
Agustin Politario
Domingo de los Santos
Nicolas Darriquiz
Francisco Sadio
Basilio Magno
Agustin Tabares
Miguel Carpiano
Santiago Putuyan
Juan Kandelario
Juan Suarez Birondo
Agustin Aguirre
Antonio Megildo
Lazaro Dumarang
Tomas Benedicto
Agustin Talisga
Fernando Narciso
Juan Obo

Those who ruled as "Capitan Basal" with their respective tenures:

Don Juan Marcelo   
D. Tomas benedicto      
D. Juan Suarez Birondo    
D. Domingo de los Santos     
D. Agustin Talisga     
D. Juan Obo
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang    
D. Basilio Magno     
D. Agustin Talisga     
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang    
D. Antonio Megildo     
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang     
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang    
D. Tomas benedicto      
D. Basilio Magno    
D. Santiago Putuyan     
D. Lazaro Dumarang     
D. Fernando Narciso     
D. Francisco Sadio    
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang     
D. Antonio Delsado     
D. Nicolas Barriquez     
D. Basilio Magno     
D. Basilio Magno     
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang     
D. Fernando Narciso     
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang     
D. Agustin Balinsay     
D. Juan Candelario     
D. Fernando Carpio    
D. Agustin Peroy     
D. Juan Policarpio     
D. Pedro Constantino     
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang      
D. Agustin Valentin    
D. Francisco Basilio     
D. Agustin Benedicto     
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang     
D. Antonio Fernando     
D. Pedro Salvio     
D. Juan Fernando     
D. Agustin Alejo     
D. Miguel Karpiano Amang     
D. Agustin Valentin     
D. Pedro Constantino      
D. Agustin Magno     
D. Agustin Valentin     
D. Juan Gregorio    
D. Francisco Mariano    
D. Francisco Basilio    
1771
1772
1773
1774
1775
1776
1777
1778
1779
1780
1781
1782
1783
1784
1785
1786
1787
1788
1789
1790
1791
1792
1793
1794
1796
1797
1798
1799
1800
1801
1802
1803
1804
1805
1806
1807
1808
1809
1810
1811
1812
1813
1814
1815
1816
1817
1819
1820
1821
1822
     

When the title of office was changed to Alkalde Primero and Alkalde Segundo:
[1]    
Juan Gregorio                
Crescencio de Leon        
Simon Crespe                 
[2]
Juan Ignacio                 1822
D. Feleciano Fausto      1823
D. Vicente Felizardo     1824
             
On November 27, 1824 the title of executive office of Alcalde was changed to Gobernadorcillo.  The People called this title "Capitan".

The offices of the following were put up:  Teniente Primero, Teniente Segundo, Juez de Sementera, Juez de Policia, Juez de Canados.  The Cabezas de Barangay, Alguaciles, and Tenientes sa Minuro.

Names of Persons Who Held Leading Official Positions and the Dates of their Tenures



During the Spanish Regime

The officials under the following executive officer are already mentioned in the foregoing narrative:

 "Teniente Absoluto" "Capitan Basal" and "Alcalde"
                   
Gobernadorcillo     
D. Miguel Jose    
D. Juan Gregorio     
D. Juan Gregorio     
D. Juan Ignacio 
D. Francisco Teodoro     
D. Juan Gregorio 
D. Valentin Agustin
        He died in May 15, 1831 and was succeded by:
D. Lorenzo de la Cruz 
D. Geronimo Constantino     
D. Tomas Aquino     1833
D. Juan Osmundo     1834
D. Esteban Fernando     1835
D. Eustaquio Mateo     1836
D. Felipe Belarmino      1837
D. Tomas Aquino (2nd Term)
D. Ignacio Policarpio    
D. Agustin Josef    
D. Gregorio Bartolome (3rd Term)
D. Tomas Aquino      
D. Geronimo Bermundo    
D. Juan Francisco      
D. Felipe Bernanrdo     
D. Matias Sindico      
D. Felipe Villa     
D. Vicente Villa Perla      
D. Tomas Aquino Nobleza (4th Term)
Nobleza was added to the name of this Gobernadorcillo when the list of surnames came in 1845. The additional surnames was given by the priest in recognition of the humbleness of the man.
D. T. Aquino Nobleza  (3rd to 4th Term)
        Reelected 5th Term
D. Francisco Tirador  (2nd Term)
        (5th Term) Don Francisco Tirador was the former 
         D. Francisco Teodoro.
        His surname was changed to Tirador because 
        he was known through-out the community as sharp 
        blow gun shooter.

D. Esteban Bartolome Ariete    
D. T. Aquino Nobleza (6th Term)
        The term of office was changed.
        It began from the middle of the year to the middle 
        of the succeding year.

D. Miguel Nobleza     
        (brother to Aquino)
D. Juan Armiko Catequista     
        D. Juan Armiko was the former Cabeza de 
        Barangay  Juan Armino.
        He was given Catequista for surname because 
        he was a true devotee and was frequenting 
        the church.

D. Santiago Sindico     
D. Santiago Constantinopla      
D. Domingo Nobleza     
        Tomas Aquino's son
 Year
1825
1826
1827
1828
1829
1830
1831

1831
1832
1833
1834
1835
1836
1837
1838
1839
1840
1841
1842
1843
1844
1845
1846
1847
1848
1849




1850

1851





1852
1853



1854-1855

1855-1856





1856-1857
1857-1858
1858-1859

Gobernadorcillo or Capitan
Luis Senador Andres     
D. Juan Orquesta     
D. Pablo Marin     

     Year
1859 -1860
1862 -1863
1860 -1861


Terms of office of Gobernadorcillos changed to two years.
D. Calixto Villareal
D. Mariano Sanjines     
D. Lorenzo Tirador  (T. Tirador's son)     

1863 -1865
1865 -1867
1867 -1869

January 28, 1868, new church was inaugurated, terms of office of Gobernadorcillos changed to one year again:

D. Juan Armiko Catequista      (2nd term)
D. Francisco Armada     
D. Juan Villareal     
D. Juan Villareal resigned and D. Lorenzo Tirador succeeded for the remaining term, March to June 1872.
D. Placido Marin     (reelected 2nd term
D. Placido Marin     and
D. Placido Marin     3rd terms)
D. Placido Marin     (4th term)
Laying of the cornerstone was made this year to the construction of the cemetery
D. Placido Marin     (4th reelection)
D. Placido Alianza     
D. Luis Senador and D. Nicolas Galan acted in succession for the remaining term of Don Agustin Alianza
D. Nicolas Galan    
1869 -1870
1870 -1871
1871 -1872



1874 -1875

1875 -1876


1876 -1877
1877 -1878


1878 -1879

Terms of office changed to two years again.

D. Alejandro Arcenal     
D. Francisco Armada (2nd term)
1879 - 1881
1881 - 1883

On November 20, 1884, the new cemetery was inaugurated.


Ayala Museum Archive

D. Rosendo Acollador1885 - 1887

Term of office changed to one year.

D. Casimiro Bogador 
D. Nicolas Galan  
1888 - 1889
1891 - 1893

Term of office changed to one year.

D. Nicolas Galan reelection (2nd term)
D. Ponciano Sollano     
        Administrative case filed againts 
        the Gobernadorcillo.  D. Juan Nobleza, acting 
        part of the term

D. Tiburcio Collado acting part of the term;
D. Ambrocio Cava, acting part of the term;
D. Rafael Asesor, acting part of the term;
D. Ponciano Sollano, 
        reinstated before the end of the term 
D. Rafael Asesor     
D. Agustin Tirador     
1893 - 1894
1895 - 1896








1896 - 1897
1897 - 1899

Rufino Armada acted for sometime during the term; Agustin Tirador resumed office until the fall of the local governmentin the hands of th insurgents who entered the town in the night (mid) of November 4 1898.  Town people made no resistance againts the insurgents but laid down their arms.  The insurgents were led by Gen pascual Magbanua and Lieuts. Juan Cornel, Anselmo Lastrella and Eduardo Lopez.



Revolunionary Period

D. Martin Tirador was proclaimed Provisional Local President of the Filipino governent of the town immediately after the fall.

D. Anacleto Catequista was appointed Local President by the Supreme Head.  General Martin Delgado on November 21, 1898 and was succeeded by D. Angel Villa, D. Agustin Suarez, D. Francisco Armada Intripedo, and D. Esteban Suarez.


      

Illustration of American Army fighting the Filipino resistance (U.S. Army print archive)

The town fell in the hands of the Americans on November 25, 1899.  The American Military government was established until the surrender of all the Filipino forces.



During the American Regime

 


Photo taken in Jaro in the turn of the century (Copyright: Underwood)

During the American military government. D. Esteban Suarez and D. Francisco Armada Intrepido were appointed in succession until the civil regime was established in1901.  The following had been Presidents and later designated as Mayors of the town:

Mr. Francisco Armada Intrepido 
Mr. Esteban Suarez
Mr. Jose Locsin Armada                    
Mr. Ramon Armada                        
Mr. Felix Armada                                
Mr. Eustaquio N. Ortigas                    
Mr. Salvador Suarez                          
Mr. Pedro T. Barranco                     
Mr. Pedro T. Barranco                        
Mr. Mariano Tionko                            
Mr. Salvador G. Nobleza                    
Mr. Ildefonso Cava                            
Dr. Pedro Margarico
January 1, 1902 - December 31, 1903
January 1, 1904 - December 31, 1905
January 1, 1906 - December 31, 1909
January 1, 1910 - October 15, 1912
October 16, 1912 - October 15, 1916
October 16, 1916 - October 15, 1922
October 16, 1922 - October 15, 1925
October 16, 1925 - October 15, 1928
October 16, 1934 - December 31, 1937
October 16, 1928 - October 15, 1931
October 16, 1931 - October 15, 1934
January 1, 1938 - December 31, 1941
January 1, 1941 - April 16, 1942
(unfinished)



Japanese Occupation - http://www.smccd.net

The Japanese landed at Iloilo on April 16, 1942 and occupied this town on April 18, 1942.  The residents fled to the remote barrios and hills where they established a Provisionary free government.  The Japanese set up a local government in this town and the late Mr. Placido Gabarra was made Puppet Mayor by the Japanese government - (September 23, 1943 - March 5, 1944).

Upon the liberationof the town by the American forces aided by the guirellas.  Dr. Pedro Margarico was put up to continue his unfinished term, and a few months later Mr. Salvador Suarez was named Acting Mayor by the PCAU government - (March 22, 1945 - December 31, 1945).

Still later, Mr. Andres Lutero was appointed Acting Mayor until the regular election of November 2, 1947 when Mr. Juan C. Locsin was elected Mayor of the town.

C. Municipal Officials of the Municipalityu of Janiuay from 1946 up to the present:

1946
Municipal Mayor                    Mr. Andres Lutero
Municipal Vice Mayor            Mr. Salvador Nobleza
Councilors:
1   Atty Delfin Lutero
2   Mr. Margarito Pama
3   Mr. Basilio Solidarios
4   Mr. Guillermo Tirador
5   Mr. Felomino Porras
6   Dr. Alfred Origas
7   Mr. Tiburcio Cadete
8   Mrs Paz de Ladera

Municipal Officials of the Municipality of Janiuay
Secretary                                    Atty. Santiago Damasco
Treasurer                                    Miss Zoila Cajilig
Justice of the Peace                     Atty. Nicolas Lutero
Pres. 77th Sanitary Division       Dr. Amado San Diego
Chief of Police                            Mr. Jorge C. Mamon

1947
Same as of 1946 except for the case of one Municipal Councilor, Mr. Natalio Armada who took the place of Dr. Alfredo Ortigas.

1948
Municipal Mayor                    Mr. Juan C. Locsin
Municipal Vice Mayor            Mr. Pedro T. Barranco
Councilors:
1   Mrs Paz de ladera
2   Mr. Salvador Suarez
3   Mr. Natalio Armada
4   Atty. Delfin Lutero
5   Mr. Alfredo Ortigas
6   Mr. Mariano Tionko
7   Mr. Felipe Villa
8   Mr. Ildefonso Cava

Municipal Officials of the Municipality of Janiuay
Secretary                                    Atty. Santiago Damasco
Treasurer                                    Miss Zoila Cajilig
Justice of the Peace                     Atty. Nicolas Lutero
Pres. 77th Sanitary Division       Dr. Amado San Diego
Chief of Police                            Mr. Jorge C. Mamon

1949
Same as 1948 except for the case of the Chief of Police Mr. Manuel Aaron who took place of Jorge C. Mamon.

1950
Same as of 1949 except for the Secretary Mr. Andrew Arenga who took the place of Atty Santiago Damasco.

1951
Same as of 1950.

1952 - 1953
Municipal Mayor                    Mr. Cirilo D. Adelantar
Municipal Vice Mayor            Dr. Pedro B. Margarico
Councilors:
1   Mrs Paz de ladera
2   
 Mr. Natalio Armada
3   Mr. Lucas Buscar
4   
Mr. Ildefonso Cava
5   Mr. Emilio Montilla, Jr.
6   Mr. Sergio Catedral
7   Mr. Asisclo Tirador
8   Mr. Jose E. Collado

Municipal Officials of the Municipality of Janiuay
Secretary                                    Mr. Petri Nobleza
Treasurer                                    Miss Zoila Cajilig
Justice of the Peace                     Atty. Nicolas Lutero
Pres. 77th Sanitary Division       Dr. Amado San Diego
Chief of Police                            Mr. Jorge C. Mamon

The Parish priests during the Spanish Regime in this Town
Rev. Father Javier Calcetas
Rev. Father Francisco Tabarez
Rev. Father Jose Santa Maria
Rev. Father  de Aades
Rev. Father Antonio Saens
Rev. Father Ramon Alquizar
Rev. Father Gregorio Maranon
Rev. Father Miguel Carod
Rev. Father Candido Gonzales
        Fray Francisco Locsin (Coadjutor)
Rev. Father Luciano
Rev. Father Fernando Lorente
        Fray Santiago Dezcalso (Coadjutor)
Fray  Presbitero Domingo Villa  
Fray  Antonio Fermento
Fray  Pedro Bartolome 
Fray  Jose Lobo
Fray  Sergio Romero
        Fray  Marcelo Espinosa (Coadjutor)

1744
1757
1765
1820
1820
1831
1832
1833
1871

1872
1873

1877
1877
1888
1890
1893


Person Who Held the Office of the Maestro Normal

Don Mariano Martinez
Don Luiz
Don Domingo Franco
Don Felipe Perez
Don Gregorio Cartagena
Don Pedro Tirador
Don Herminigildo Declaro
1870
1871
1876 - 1877
1879
1882
1883
1888

Cabeza de Barangay

The following persons arranged in the order of their tenure of office as cabezas de barangay during the Spanish time in this town.
Don Cruz
Don Talisga
Don Karpiano
Don Belarmino
Don Benedicto
Don Lutaw
Don Megildo
Don Balad-on
Don Clarito
Don Manyaso
Don Salibio
Don Octaviano
Don Dumarong
Don Ingkilan
Don Marcelo
Don Likario
Don Birondo
Don Tolentino
Don Tayo
Don Simbahan
Don Maglindi
Don Dolendo
Don Kilat
Don Tabares
Don Leuterio
Don Dumagat
Don Politario
Don Tomas Magbuga
Don Juan Obo
Don Agustin Alegario
Don Juan Alberto
Don Agustin Mariano
Don Agustin Clarito
Don Tomas Benedicto
Don Juan Alberto
Don Domingo de los Santos
Don Miguel Manaso
Don Antonio Megildo
Don Basilio Magno
Don Nocolas Barriquez
Don Juan Kandelario
Don Juan Salibio
Don Antonio Delsado
Don Fernando Narciso
Don Miguel Inocencio
Don Santiago Putuyan
Don Agustin Balinsay
Don Juan Basilio
Don Antonio Belardo
Don Juan Policarpio
Don Agustin Peroy
Don Benito Bernabe
Don Juan Narciso
Don Agustin Benedicto
Don Policarpio Barrentas
Don Juan Tingub
Don Agustin Arguisano
Don Juan Ignacio
Don Ignacio Pomape
Don Alipio Megildo
Don Juan Rodrigo
Don Alfonso Bendoy
Don Agustin Simbahan
Don Pedro Constantino
Don Pedro Tutay
Don Agustin Benedicto
Don Francisco Basilio
Don Agustin Valentin
Don Juan Fernando
Don Francisco Sadio
Don Miguel Karpiano
Don Agustin Alejo
Don Pedro Salvio
Don Agustin Magno
Don Juan Magsangue
Don Juan Ilisan
Don Francisco Bangilon
Don Agustin Soledad
Don Matias Sindico
Don Andres Austria
Don Basilio Gumarang
Don Agustin Limandog
Don Salvio Benedalo
Don Guillermo Balmos
Don Agustin Ydol
Don Miguel Karpiano
Don Agustin Alejo
Don Pedro Salvio
Don Agustin Magno
Don Guillermo Roque
Don Leon Ambrosio
Don Valeriano Juan
Don Gabriel Guillermo
Don Agustin Martisano
Don Salvador Constantino
Don Juan Politario de la CruzDon Fabiano de la Cruz
Don Juan Gregorio
Don Crescencio Leon
Don Francisco Mariano
Don Lorenzo Cruz
Don Francisco Cagunda
Don Juan Bayao
Don Agustin Dante
Don Bernardo Karpiano
Don Vicente Filizardo
Don Simon Crispe
Don Domingo Sebastian
Don Agustin Binondo
Don Francisco Teodoro
Don Tomas Aquino
Don Geronimo Constantino
Don Juan Osmundo
Don Eustaquio Mateo
Don Gregorio Bartolome
Don Agustin Josef
Don Ignacio Policarpio
Don Juan Francisco
Don Antonio Feliciano
Don Geronimo Bermudo
Don Felipe Bernardo
Don Agustin Martin
Don Juan Ilisan
Don Agustin Tenorio
Don Pablo Mamon
Don Clemente Quintero
Don Felipe Almirante
Don Ponciano Sollano
Don Luis Senador
Don Gregorio Brasileno
Don Nicolas Escuadra
Don Ignacio Rendaje
Don Luis Paris
Don Braulio Agustin
Don Juan Avance
Don paulino Abeto
Don Marcos Asesor
Don Guillermo Abunto
Don Bernabe Pedregosa
Don Simon Rano
Don Andres Catequista
Don Ramon Defacacto
Don Vicente Madera
Don Nicolas Salviano
Don Gabriel Senador
Don Potenciano Senador
Don Monico Villareal
Don Vicente Perla
Don Esteban Bartolome Ariete
Don Juan Arminio Catequista
Don Agustin Panaguiton
Don Fernando Moguiling
Don Agustin Putuyan
Don Juan San dio
Don Felipe Villa
Don Santiago Sindico
Don Pablo Marin
Don Domingo Nobleza
Don Placido Marin
Don Juan Orquista
Don Mariano Sangines
Don Calixto Villareal
Don Herminigildo Villa
Don Agustin Alianza
Don Nicolas Galan
Don Francisco Armada
Don Monico Pineda
Don Cashimiro Bogador
Don Luis Senador
Don Antonio Sangines
Don Lorenzo Tirador
Don Martino Manijero
Don Bibiano Perla
Don Guillermo Arenga
Don Nicolas Lopez
Don Juan Caporal
Don Benito Nobleza
Don Julian Cava
Don Eustaquio Borra
Don Justo Penalver
Don Clemente Carman
Don Rosendo Acollador
Don Bernabe Ampuller
Don Marcos Mogato
Don Apolonio Armada
Don Basilio Amparo
Don Calacio Tojar
Don Ramon Quintilla
Dona Inocencia Taberna
Don Felix Armada
Don Ciriaco Lopez
Don Eusebio Sales
Don Flores Magno
Don Martin Quinon
Don Eusebio Hablado
Don Valentin Coronado
Don Paulo Catequista
Don Apolinario Zacatin
Don Bernardino Demorara
Don Justo Constantinopla
Don Pablo Tajuela
Don Anselmo Espia
Don Pablo Porras
Don Carlos Borra
Don Toribio Ricabar
Don Leon Esteba
Don Andres Amparo
Don Marcelo Ramirez
Don Alfonso Lopez
Don Felipe Adorable
Don Pedro Cava
Don Antonio Calzado
Don Carlos Barranco
Don Siverio Catedrilla
Don Sebastian Abarcar
Don Natalio Zante
Don Benedicto Pacificar
Don Ambrosio Conde
Don Nicolas Coronado
Don Juan Bernage
Don Toribio Borra
Don Francisco Acanto
Don Rafael Asesor
Don Antonio Lebrilio
Don Maximo Pacificar
Don Eduardo Lutero
Don Francisco Grabato
Don Basilio Mamon
Don Gregorio Panillia
Don Ramon Salamanca
Don Lucio Gulmatico
Don Maximo Rafosa
Don Gabriel Hontanar
Don Angel Villa
Don Martin Tirador
Don Pablo Naranja
Don Luis Camarista
Don Balbino Suresca
Don Ciriaco Pacificar
Don Andres Suarez
Don Apolonio Lutero
Don Simeon Calbonera
Don Lamberto Fama
Don Tomas Armada
Don Marcelino Galilea
Don Cipriano Gabiano
Don Toribio Palisada
Don Anastacio Vasquez
Don Liberato Ortigas
Don Aniceto Catedral
Don Clemente Abordo
Don Atanacio Manejero
Don Clemente Agreda
Don Ambrosio Taberna
Don Ambrosio Quintero
Don Apolinario Espiton
Don Leon Asesor
Don Ignacio Suarez
Don Eugenio Otero
Don Ignacio Viajar
Don Nicolas Lagana
Don Melchor Halago
Don Modesto Mamon
Don Justo Aportadera
Don Felix Mamon
Don Bartolome Lardin
Dionisio Senador
Don Cecilio Mamon
Don Francisco Amicable
Don Modesto Larios
Don Ambrosio Cava
Don Eustaquio Quinon
Don Agustin Suarez
Don Lorenzo Damasco
Don Macario Bolatin
Don Alipio Barranco
Don Antonio Solano

One of those prominent men of the town who has served in different offices of the town was Don Mariano Dureza.  He was nicknamed "Anoy Tarzo".  He served as Comisario, Alguacil and other higher offices of the town.



Data of Historical Sites, Structures, Buildings, Old Ruins, Et cetera.

I       

 Three "Farolas" of bricks situated at the corners of
  • San Julian and Del Pilar Streets
  • San Jose and Del Pilar Streets
  • San jose and Sto Nino streets

Those "Farulas" as they were called provided with lights at night during the Spanish time and the sentinels (Spaniards) were stationed every night to those places as guards.  After the Spanish regime however they had not been used for the same purpose.  They were used as shelter by pedestrians in case of need.  During the American regime, those edifices were not used and they stood in the corners of those street to serve as shade for passers-by.  Still later because of age, they began to crumple to ruins and were finally destroyed, when they had outlived their usefulness.

II        Bridges of Spanish Archirtecture at the intersection of:
  • S.M. Villa and San Pedro Streets
  • San Pedro and Sto Nino Streets
  • Del Pilar and San Julian Streets
  • Del Pilar and San Jose Streets
  • Golgota and Aquino Nobleza Streets
  • One of the ends of Aquino Nobleza Street near the cemetery.

These were made of bricks with wide bases of blocks of stones as their foundation.  These bridges still remain to this day with the exception of the seats made of bricks and stone blockson both sides already crumpled to ruins, but some of them were remodeled to the present architectural designs.

III        An old building of bricks on the west side of the present Municipal building stands in ruins.  This building was the Spanish "Tribunals" of the Spanish time, the seat of the Spanish local government.  It was vacated during the Philippine Revolution but was occupied by the Insurrectos in 1898.

IV        Two Spanish school buildings still remain to this day in the heart of the poblacion.  One of these buildings stands in ruins since World War II and one had been repaired and rehabilitated.  It now houses the office of the Supervising Teacher of the Janiuay Elementary School.

V         All dug wells of Spanish Construction are left in ruins.  One which is still conspicuous to the people because of its arched top made of bricks is situated at the foot of the hill on the right side of the old church.  This well had not been used for a long time.  The story runs that a mad Chinaman got drowned when he jumped into it and from that time on the well was abandoned.

VI        The Janiuay Cemetery



One of the three stairs


Chapel / Altar in the middle                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

This is one of the most important legacies of the Spanish Regime to this town.  It was started on September 5, 1875 after the cornerstone was laid.  The flat stone called "Sillar" were taken from the mountains of Dingle, Tinukwan.  It was built through enforced labor.  The cemetery was finished in November.

VII        The Church of Janiuay


Artist rendition of the San Julian Church, (Courtesy of San Julian Parish Office)

Another very memorable relic of the Spanish Regime in this town is the Roman Catholic church which was constructed on December 2, 1849 after all the materials needed were gathered.  The stones used for the construction were taken from the mountain of Tinukwan, Dingle.  The gathering of the materials and the work in the construction were done through the "Dagyaw".  Every Cabeza  de Barangay took turns in having his group or "sakup" work in the construction of the church.  The Cabeza provided the food for his own men.  The "Dagyaw" was continuous throughout the year except only during the planting season, famine epidemic and during harvest.

   
Church ruins today                                         Being renovated with the help of our successful Kasimanwas abroad.

The belfry next to the new church.

The church was inaugurated on January 28, 1868.  It was greatly heralded by the town and devout church-goers.  This great edifice still stands to this day in crumple and ruins as a result of the last World War.

VIII        Buildings of Antiquity

Other buildings of brick, "Mga Balay nga Tisa" which were also built by the Spaniards at the time they ruledthis town still stand to this day.  One stands at the intersection of Sto Nino St. and San jose St. and at the other one at the intersection of S.M. Villa and San Pedro Streets.  All these buildings of bricks once housed the prominent Spanish Officials, like the Gobernadorcillos or Capitanes.




Important Facts, Incidents or Events That Took Place.


          

During the Spanish Occupation:

In 1775 a cemetery was built behind the old church and the one at Gahit was abandoned.

In 1780,the town suffered five months of dry season.  Rice crops were destroyed and there was famine.  Robbers and theives were rampant.

The year 1781, was a sad one for the parents of this town.  They were forced to send their sons to Manilaas "Quintos" or soldiers to help stop the revolt that started there.

There was a great famine and many people died of hunger.  In 1782 a decree was issued ordering al cattle owners to have all their cattles branded.

In 1789 the people of the town was attacked by an infectious disease known as Smallpox. There was no medicine to stop it.  Many people died and amany suffered from the disease.  At last the priest ordered to quarantine the home of the smallpox victims.

In 1797, Bishop Ignacio Salamanca, visited the town.  The children were given confirmation.  He was received with much rejoicing by the Parish Priest and the people.  The officials rode on horses down to Tigbauan bridge.

In 1801 a decree was issued ordering persons to pay cedula tax instead of the one paid to the officials.  The Governador General again asked the towns for the "Quintos" (soldiers).  All male, single and healthy were forced to go.

In 1804, a  decree was issued prohibiting a Filipino priests to become the head of the parish but to be only a coadjutor of a Spanish priest.  This caused a general ill feeling between the Spaniards and Filipinos.

In 1806 vaccination againts smallpox was started, The children were forced to submit.

The year 1808 was the visit of Bishop Joaquin Mercado in this town to give confirmation.

In 1810 a decree was issued by the high official to put a seal on all measures.

In 1814 a decree was issued by the Governor General to punish persons caught without tobaco plantations.

The first town census was taken in 1818.  It was found that there were 10,000 inhabitants, 4, 158 tax payers, 651 were aged and exempted from taxes; 1,010 were below taxable age; and 2, 558 homes.

On November 27, 1824 the name "Alkade" was abolished and changed to "Gobernadorcillo".  The title of the Teniente Mayor was restored but it was done through election.  Offices were formed such as Teniente Primero, Teniente Segundo, Juez de Sementera, Juez de Policia, and Juez de Ganados, The "Teniente Primero" takes the place of theTeniente Mayor.  The Teniente Segundo taked the place of the Teniente Primero.  "Juez de Sementera" took charge of the land troubles.  "Juez de Policia" kept peace and order in the town.  "Juez de Canados" took charge of all the animals.

In 1832 the town was attacked by smallpox and many people died.  The barrio people were often disturbed by lawlessness and robbers.  Government soldiers came here to stop the frequent robberies.

In 1834 marked the visit of the Vicar Provincial Fray Manuel Blanco to inspect the books of the registered births, marriages and deaths.  He also inspected the church properties and the conditions of the parish priests.

The municipal building of the Casa Real was finished and the furnitures and other equipments of the building was furnishedby the people.

In 1838 the two temporary bamboo school houses were built one for the male and the other for the female.  The children were forced to attend schol because they were afraid of the serious punishment imposed on them in case they failed to memorize or learn their lessons.

In 1839 a temporary convent was built connecting it to the church.  It was finished and furnished by the people who worked in it everyday free.

In 1840 the parish priest called a meeting of all the officials in the town.  A plan to build a permanent church was laid before them.  The materials for the construction wer decided and the job of collecting these materials was immediately started.  The construction of the big brick house was started too this year.  The bricks and lime used were taken from Navalas.  

In 1845, there was (a document) received from the Governor of the province a long list of surnames.  These were given to the people to select their own surnames and others were given to them by the priest in accordance with their traits and characteristics.  From that time on the people had their surnames.


Ti,  may mga nakilala dun kamo?  Mga Pinalangga ta nga mga lolo kag kalolahan ang mga ngaran nga mabasa naton giya.

Makes us prouder Janiuaynon as always.

To be continued.....


*****




This document was found from the archive of the Department of Tourism Iloilo office through the help of our Kasimanwa RENE 'KYUTING' T. CORTUM.  Salamat gid sa DOT.  It is our (JANA - Admin and Website Team) desire to share this document in full without amending any part for record purposes. This may serve as an open reference to our Kasimanwa and to those who would like to know more about Janiuay, the Janiuaynons and its colorful history.  According to Mr. Cortum, this 32-page manuscript is untitled and undated. There is no known author in the document though it is believed to be the work of our respected Historian DON PEDRO T. BARRANCO.  For those readers who are familiar of this manuscript you may write us at admin@janiuay.net so we can update this publication and fill in the missing parts.  

Medyo malawig gawa ang aton Maragtas, so please be patient gid until we complete transcribing it here para sa tanan.  Salamat gid.





CLICK PAGE YOU WANT TO READ OR PRINT.



       
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
 
   
     


 











 



Below are reactions and reflections from our Kasimanwas after reading our Maragtas.  Salamat gid ka mga sulat ninyo, very encouraging gid.  
Mabuhay kita tanan nga Janiuaynon!  

In the "Maragtas sang Janiuay" page link at the bottom page, we will have a Forum section to make space of Q&A relating to our Maragtas.  We will be posting Catchit Tionko's questions there and hopefully our Kasimanwas around the world can share what they know via our Guestbook or they can e-mail at admin@janiuay.net.  Mga istorya bala ka mga kamal-aman naton are very much welcome here.

 Salamat gid.

________________

hello mga kasimanwa,
as i am reading the maragtas sang haniway ,iba gid ang nabatyagan ko , tanda lang nga janiuaynon gid ako and really proud to be one. Am so glad now that i've known our origin kay sang una ko pa gid gusto ran maman-an.. Congrats kaninyo for creating this site!.Iba gid man tana mga janiuaynons kong talents, achievements ang estoryahan. Not only here on land but till there up in the sky,..just to mention one(kay may asteroid na nga " biyo" courtesy of josette talamera biyo, our very own kasimanwa). 
My best of regards and more power sa inyo tanan! God bless

- flory valle garganera
manila,philippines 

________________

A blessed 2009 sa inyo tanan mga kasimanwa. Sa inyo tanan dyan sa East Coast thank you so much for your effort in putting up this website. I do greatly appreciate it. This will paved the way of uniting and interacting to all the Janiuaynons all throughout the globe (basta may dyan nga internet). Personally it make me even proud of my identity being a Janiuaynon (this as I read the history of Janiuay). More Power and praying that we will all be successful in every endeavor we have. God bless us all especially ang aton nga banwa JANIUAY. 

- Fr. Joe Cornelia
Arizona, USA

________________

hi, everyone,

very interesting ang maragtas kang janiuay especially how surnames came into being. now we know about tirador and catequista. what about mamon & estante, espada & escabarte, estandarte, etc? is there a story behind these surnames, too, ukon pinili lang out of a list provided by the spaniards? it would be good to know about this since ang janiuay is quite unique when it comes to surnames. sa iban nga banwa most surnames start with the first letter of the town's name. pinasahi gid atun banwa?

do we also have references about our revolutionary past- from the spanish colonization to american and japanese occupation? am quite sure our town was a major flashpoint in our ancestors' struggle to get rid of foreign domination and restore the freedom of their generation and the next. this revolutionary maragtas, i believe, will make us even prouder janiuaynons. 

- Cachit Tionko 
Iloilo, Philippines           



Forum

You are all welcome to comment and answer our Kasimanwas queries below.  Please write your comments via our Guestbook (you may click the word Guestbook and click Post New) or e-mail at admin@janiuay.net.

Posted by CACHIT TIONKO, Iloilo, Philippines,

2009-01-14 14:13:31

very interesting ang maragtas kang janiuay especially how surnames came into being. now we know about tirador and catequista. what about mamon & estante, espada & escabarte, estandarte, etc? is there a story behind these surnames, too, ukon pinili lang out of a list provided by the spaniards? it would be good to know about this since ang janiuay is quite unique when it comes to surnames. sa iban nga banwa most surnames start with the first letter of the town's name. pinasahi gid atun banwa?

do we also have references about our revolutionary past- from the spanish colonization to american and japanese occupation? am quite sure our town was a major flashpoint in our ancestors' struggle to get rid of foreign domination and restore the freedom of their generation and the next. this revolutionary maragtas, i believe, will make us even prouder janiuaynons. 



Ano ayhan kung waay naguba ang simbahan nga ginpangabudlayan sang aton mga kamal-aman?


Artist rendition of the San Julian Church, (Courtesy of San Julian Parish Office)