JANIUAY














Salamat gid sa tanan 
especially kay Ronnie Poblacion.
Mabuhay ang Janiuay

***




JANA

Ang pinalangga naton nga Patron sang Janiuay

Saint Julian of Cuenca (Julian of Burgos) (Spanish: San Julián de Cuenca) (1127-January 28, 1208) was the second bishop of Cuenca, Spain, and was also a professor, hermit, priest, and preacher.

Born in Burgos, he studied at the cathedral school there and then studied at the university at Palencia, earning his doctorate there. He was appointed professor of philosophy and theology there in 1153.

During his time in Palencia, Julian worked as a basket-maker and maker of other trade goods in order to earn extra money for the poor of the city, as well to support himself.

In 1163, at the age of 35, he left Palencia to live a life of solitude in a modest house outside of Burgos, located on the banks of the Arlanzón.ordained (in 1166) and received minor orders, and together with a young companion, Lesmes, lived a life of mortification and contemplation.He was 

Subsequently, he and Lesmes took to the road as itinerant preachers, reaching Córdoba and Toledo (in 1191). The archbishop of Toledo, Martín II López de Pisuerga, appointed Julian as archdeacon at Toledo. Along with his administrative duties, Julian continued preaching as well as making baskets in order to raise money for the poor. Julian served for 5 years as archdeacon at Toledo.

Juan Yáñez, the first bishop of Cuenca, died on December 14, 1195; Julian was chosen by Alfonso VIII of Castile to succeed Yáñez in June 1196. The diocese of Cuenca had been established in 1183 after the city of Cuenca had been conquered from the Moors by Alfonso VIII on September 21, 1177.

As bishop, Julian continued his preaching, reformed the practices of the local clergy, and did charity work for the Christians, Jews, and Muslims of his city. On a yearly basis, he would retire to the country to live a life of solitude and contemplation, and continued his habit of making baskets. 

A legend associated with Julian is that Jesus Christ appeared to him in the guise of a beggar in order to thank him.

Julian died on January 28, 1208.

Source: Wikipedia







Originally posted in his FB's wall with permission to re-post here for all our kasimanwa to enjoy.
Welcome gid ang tanan mag padara ka mga pictures especially halin sa pinalangga naton nga banwa,.
Sa mga Kasimanwa naton around the globe you are welcome gid to share your pictures with a short description.











NEWS, VIEWS, INFO & OTHER STUFF ABOUT US. 
PLEASE SUGGEST INTERESTING SITES @
admin@janiuay.net

VIEWS AND OPINION THAT ARE PRESENTED IN THESE EXTERNAL LINKS ARE NOT JANA'S.
THANKS.



CLICK THE WEB IMAGE TO GO TO SITE


Janiuay areal view.
Thanks DEYv for the aerial view of our town..  Click to enlarge.


 
The News Today
July 17, 2009 Iloilo City, Philippines

Please note that the article below is published in News Today Website.  Click the link below to go to News Today website. 
http://www.thenewstoday.info/2009/07/17/looking.back.at.some.grand.old.structures.in.janiuay.iloilo.html

BRIDGING THE GAP     Henry F. Funtecha, Ph.D.

Looking back at some grand old structures in Janiuay, Iloilo

Janiuay is one of the municipalities of the province of Iloilo. It is an interior town about a thirty-minute jeepney ride distance from Iloilo City and is located on plain land by the southeast and on partly hilly land by the northwest. It is bounded by three other municipalities: Maasin in the south, Lambunao in the north and Mina in the east.

The town was formerly called Matagup and was just initially a visita of the municipality of Dumangas. In 1752, it became an independent parish with the coming of Fr. Eugenio Moya and, soon after, was organized as a town. In the 1770s, the town was relocated to its present site and was called Janiuay.

The Catholic Church, the first major project built in Janiuay, was initiated by Fr. Miguel Carod who served as parish priest from 1830 to 1871. The stones used for the construction were transported to the site from Guimaras and were ferried by balsa. Ovens were put up to bake the bricks for use in the structure. When Father Carod died in November 1871, the grandiose church was almost finished. Fr. Nicolas Gallo, the priest who succeeded Father Carod, was responsible in finishing it. He constructed the solid convent of stones and bricks, following the structural design of a certain Architect Hervas. The Janiuay Church was a real fortress, as can be observed from the remaining walls. The structure measured 75 meters long and 16 meters wide.

Unfortunately, the church was burned down by Filipino guerillas when the Japanese landed in Panay in early 1942 to deprive the invaders of its use. The church and the convent have never been restored since then.

Another major structure built in Janiuay during the Spanish period is the Janiuay Cemetery. The cemetery has survived up to the present and is known for its beauty, artistry and extra-ordinary size. The one-hectare Filipino-Hispano cemetery has a striking archlike entrance flanked by two similar structures.

The person responsible for constructing the beautiful Janiuay Cemetery was Fr. Fernando Llorente. The work started in January 1874 and it took almost ten years to complete the monumental structure which, upon its completion in November 1884, was blessed by Archbishop Pedro Payo of Manila. It was reported that about 600 men worked in the construction of the cemetery.

Built on top of a low-lying hill, three wide staircases made of twelve layers of stone slabs leading to the three main entrance gates provide easy access to the cemetery. Reminiscent of the period in which it was constructed, it has big sturdy columns where images of saints and angels are enshrined. The whole cemetery area is fenced by steel and stone columns. The huge center chapel dominates the whole panorama of the entire area.

The Report of the Philippine Commission to the U.S. President (1901) says that "the cemetery in Janiuay is especially notable". However, it can be said that behind the beauty and symmetry of the cemetery is the unsung tale of the hardships and sufferings of men who labored hard and long to carry big slabs of cut stones to the site from the municipality of Dingle, Iloilo, twenty-seven kilometers away (Mesa 1985).

Two more structures built during the 1880s in Janiuay were the two buildings of the Escuelas de Janiuay (La Ilustracion Espanola y Americana 1885). The two buildings stood opposite each other and were separated by a town road. They were put up to provide basic formal education to the young people of the town. The structures were massively built of stones and bricks, and were identical in size and design. The schoolbuildings were well-ventilated with two wide doors and three archlike front windows each. Just like many of the Spanish vintage structures, the Escuelas de Janiuay have not survived the onslaught of time and human activity.

(Note: The writer is thankful to A.Y. Mosteiro Jr. of U.P. Los Banos, Laguna for providing most of the materials used in this column article.)








WIKIPEDIA, THE FREE ONLINE ENCYCLOPEDIA





INQUIRER.NET
Often we hear of negative comments about Filipinos. Now here is something positive about Filipinos, written by a foreigner named Steve Ray








ILOILO ONLINE.COM




NEWS TODAY, ILOILO





MORE SITES WILL BE ADDED SOON.










Comments